Friday, 23 May 2014

And so to bed

I slept and dreamed that life was Beauty;
I woke and found that life was Duty.
Was thy dream then a shadowy lie?
Toil on, sad heart, courageously,
And thou shalt find thy dream to be
A noonday light and truth to thee.

Ellen Sturgis Hooper


Three years ago I went through what the Queen would call an annus horribilis although some of us might describe a year like that rather less elegantly. My mood was low and it seemed that I was on an eternal treadmill. As they say 'misery loves company' and I derived some comfort from an  an ebay picture of vintage embroidered pillowcases I had saved a couple of years earlier indicating that women before had felt the same and survived. 

As they described my mood so perfectly I started a set. Lots of enlarging of the original thumbnail, some fudging of the very pixelated lines and a bit of imagination gave me the pattern. Embroidery was done at a relaxed pace for a couple of years and after much procrastinating they made it to the sewing machine for assembly. I was even able to use the lovely vintage lace mentioned a few posts ago and some pearl buttons from my stash.




Googling to check the original quote for this blog post, I also found that the original pattern dated back to 1897 and was available then from a Sears Roebuck catalogue and now from etsy shop muppin.com. How much easier would that have been 3 years ago, although it's been fun comparing and seeing that what I thought was an arm is actually a pillow and ...

Life is happier but I still think of those women who could create something beautiful  despite from the frustrations they must have felt.


Christine
xx

4 comments:

  1. Your pillow covers are lovely ... May your dreams be full of beauty and your days with a lot less duty .... We nee

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more sewing days??
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful treasures you have created. I am glad things have lightened for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was a really crappy year for you. I think you handled it all with far more dignity and calmness than many would. Glad you hung in there and that things have turned around. The pillows are gorgeous. I'm glad that things are better for you now. We love you lots and I am honoured and delighted to have you as my sister in law xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete