Thursday, 22 October 2015

gardens and quilts

'To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven'
Ecclesiastes 3:1


I wanted to share these flowers from my garden wanderings this morning and again I lament that you can't share the scents.



Aaaaah, so much loveliness in the world.

To more mundane matters, half my homework is done. I'm not sure when I'll get the other half done so I might as well grab what praise I can now!

The template carefully stitched through freezer paper to follow for foundation piecing. 


 oops! watch what you unfold when trimming...


 and... 

Ta Dah!! 



The best bit was, using the freezer paper method, the back peeled off in lovely big sections - 5 in this case, instead of the usual 5000 tiny shreds each evoking an unseemly word...

We added 4 more blocks on Tuesday. I work much better with someone cracking the whip!


(who thinks of names like 'swamp patch'?)

'Evie's' cover/carrier was pulled out again to be worked on.
This should have been finished but I keep running out of bits.


and with all this sewing activity I 'needed' a 'design wall'.


Or being honest, its poorer cousin, a flannelette sheet folded over a rod.

10 minutes to hunt up a spare curtain rod languishing in the shed, another 5 minutes to find 2 matching hooks and soon it was up and being tested.

It gives one such a different perspective. 
To be recommended, especially now while those flanny sheets are hibernating in the linen cupboard. Put them to work!

Also on quilting matters, all 12 of the Bluebird of Happiness stitcheries are on Craftsy
4 (January, April, August and December) are free, the rest US$2 each. The assembly instructions will be following soon.
Next year I will be compiling them together as one pattern with a set price so grab your freebies now!


Leaving you with a bit of lingering wisteria.

Have a lovely week


Christine
xx





6 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms! Your blocks are gorgeous Christine. Your Bluebirds quilt is the most beautiful creation....clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, we can't smell the roses & blooms, but golly they sure do look stunning... your gardens are a delight!
    Love your design wall, clever use of the flannie sheet, be careful you might end up making yourself a really posh one to place in a permanent place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers. Love your Sylvia blocks & your bluebirds. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Christine,thankyou for sharing your beautiful flowers with us,they are beautiful and wow,love your blocks and your blue bird quilt is amazing,hope you have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. your garden is looking lovely and I do love your blocks and will try that way of foundation piecing... I bought a 'device' to help with the trimming. my blue bird quilt is one of my favourites ...
    See ya next week...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. your garden is looking lovely and I do love your blocks and will try that way of foundation piecing... I bought a 'device' to help with the trimming. my blue bird quilt is one of my favourites ...
    See ya next week...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete